Monday, May 26, 2008

A Las Vegas Luncheon at Fish Camp, y’all

On a Thursday morning, I made my way over from the MGM Grand to the Monte Carlo Resort to check-in and get myself ready for a few days of Vegas Uncork’d. Although it wasn’t part of the official conference, my luncheon appointment at Fish Camp at the Town Center was spent in the presence of culinary celebrities. Local food critic John Curtas, Chef Louis Osteen of Lous’s & Fish Camp, and food writer Alan Richman were seated in one of the booths at Fish Camp, good ol’ boys havin’ a good ol’ time and eatin’ good Southern food and talkin’ about ... (Hey! What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas, you know what I mean??)

My friend and I were at another booth across the room, watching them from a distance. I was chompin’ on one of their salads: Peppery arugula greens, buttermilk blue cheese and candied pecans tossed in a roasted pecan oil, cane vinegar and molasses vinaigrette. Afterwards, it was on to "the Lowcountry's finest shrimp and grits." It tasted great. However, the shrimps could have been spicier for me.

After I finished my lunch, I decided to walk over to the other table where the three culinary celebs were, in order to see what they were eating for lunch. I went back to my table with a plate of fried oysters and fried alligator. I rarely eat fried oysters, usually the fresh raw oysters. The fried oyster tasted okay. I’ll try them again, in limited portions for now. And as for the fried alligator, it tasted like chicken, sort of ... It’s really a mind-over-matter issue. Our server told us that eighty per cent of their customers order the fried alligator.

The three gentlemen walked on over to our table to sit and chat for a while. We had a good conversation. Chef Carlos Guia came by our table later and introduced himself. The former executive chef of Commander’s Palace is now at Louis’s/Fish Camp. I’m glad things seem to be working out for Chef Guia.

No, I didn’t have any dessert for lunch. I’ll be having dessert later that night over at Payard Patisserie & Bistro, one of the opening events of Vegas Uncork’d.



Fish Camp
Town Square
6605 Las Vegas Blvd.
Las Vegas NV 89119
(702) 463-3000
http://www.louislasvegas.com/fishcamp.html